Ankle Pain in Runners
· Because of its prevalence, ankle injury is a high concern for most runners. Ankle injuries can put runners out of action for months, which can mean missing an entire season of events.
· There are several types of ankle problems that runners face. The top culprits of ankle pain are stress fracture, sprain, tendonitis and neuroma (the irritation and thickening of a nerve in the foot).
· Running on a sore ankle is not a good idea. Take a break from running or other high-impact exercises until the ankle is no longer sore.
· Get a sore ankle checked out by a doctor before beginning a running regimen again. If there is significant swelling, intense pain or any abnormalities to the shape, see a doctor immediately or go to an emergency room. This indicates a serious medical problem.
· Always stretch after a run and warm up properly before
beginning a workout. Wear properly fitted footwear that has proper padding and support. Wear a brace if the ankle has had more than one sprain.