Ankle Pain Exercises
Suffering from ankle pain can stand in the way of living an active life. You shouldn't jump into serious exercising right away. If you must exercise with ankle pain, avoid running, jogging and the treadmill as these activities slam your ankle repeatedly. There are several exercises you can do to stabilize and rehabilitate your joint.
1. After an ankle injury, it is important to start doing stretching exercises as soon as your doctor approves activity. You can do simple exercises at home such as pointing your toes and holding for 10 seconds before releasing (and repeating about 10 times). In addition, you can flex your toes and hold for 10 seconds (repeat about 10 times). To further range of motion, roll your foot inward and hold for 10 seconds as well as rolling it outward. If your doctor recommends, you can also add resistance bands to expand your strength and range of motion.
Stand on Your Toes
2. Start with your feet flat on the floor and slowly roll up to the balls of your feet. Hold for about 15 to 20 seconds and then return to your original position. Repeat five times, but it is important that you stop if you feel discomfort.
Stand on Your Heels
3. With your feet flat on the floor, roll your weight backwards onto your heels. Hold this position for 15 to 20 seconds before returning to your original stance. Repeat five times, stopping if you feel discomfort.
4. As your ankle begins to heel, you can begin an exercise regimen starting with a bicycle for your cardiovascular exercise . The circular motion of pedaling should not aggravate your ankle and will in fact help strengthen it. Start by riding a stationary or a regular bicycle for 10 minutes and increase as you feel stronger.
5. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your injured ankle next to the wall. Take your injured ankle and push toward the wall. Hold for three to five seconds and release. Repeat 10 to 20 times. As you feel stronger, tie an elastic tension band to a heavy object (such as your bed) and place your foot inside of it. Pull away from the bed with your foot making the band taut. Repeat about 10 to 20 times.